This is the story of a very sad purple t-shirt.
The flaws: too wide, too short, too low-cut. Basically stretched out and worn out.
The only thing I liked was the color.
I thought about cutting it up to make t-shirt yarn but decided on an experiment before slicing it up.
My super long plastic measuring guide was already out from a quilting project, so I used it to make chalk lines diagonally across the front of the shirt. I drew three parallel lines about an inch apart and used them to help me sew a small pin-tuck all the way down, from one shoulder to the opposite side . I was hoping to shrink some of the wideness of the shirt by taking it in a little bit on each line. Then I did the same thing on the opposite side, which left me with an “X” shape across the front of my shirt.
You can see the inside of the shirt looks pretty cool too.
As you can see, the shirt still has all of the original flaws; it’s possibly even MORE stretched out than ever before, but now it has something interesting added to the front.
I might wear this camping or to exercise, or eventually cut it up into yarn….but I’d love to try this idea on a better quality piece of clothing too.
Check out the Refashion C0-0p for other great clothing projects!